Saturday, February 18, 2012

We Bathe in the Sun

We've got solar panel to heat the pool water so why not solar to heat our bath water. The house was built in 2000 so the hot water heater is 12 years old and is probably near the end of its life - add onto this I heard that the electric company was giving $1000 rebate if you installed a solar hot water system - I like rebates - so I got two estimates and took the low guy - $4300 minus 1000 = 3300 minus tax credit of  $990 equals $2310 and I needed a new hot water heater anyway.

Of course the solar panel for the pool was in the wrong location so they had to move it over.

It's tilted to optimize solar output in the winter.

The interior is an 85 gallon tank and a small pump to push water through the solar panel whenever the temperature in the panel is hotter than the water in the bottom of the tank. They put in a couple of extra valves for me so I can drain it down when I leave during the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment