Wednesday, March 28, 2012

It's time to go home

So since October we've suffered though beautiful warm weather but now it's time to get our warm clothes out and head north. It's been a beautiful spring/winter down here with some new plants blooming every day. Even the weeds are in flower. This is called a Coral Bean and its seeds are so toxic that they are used for rat poison.

Lantana is another native (it's the yellow flower) and the Fire Bush blooms several times a year..

We've got a Hibiscus that was left here  in bloom.

And one that Polly brought down for Connecticut - I think it likes it here.

We planted these last year called a Summersweet.

And my daughter Ina sent us this Jasmine - got to get real close to catch the aroma.

So everything is blooming and wishing us farewell when I go to the outside faucet to water them and it says to me " I have a leak and I'm leaking right through the wall of the copper pipe". So should I just ignore it and say it's not leaking too much or will it get worse while I'm away and pump the well dry. It looked like the leak was caused by the grounding strap attached to the pipe right at the leaks and caused some electrolytic corrosion which made the leaks. I'll patch it now and fix it right when I get back it the fall.

Home Depot sells repair kits for leaking pipes and I wouldn't have to replace the pipe just patch it. I first used a shaped metal kit with a rubber layer inside that bolts over the pipe - it worked but there were two leaks in the pipe so I had to go back to Home Depot and buy another. When I installed that one, I must have tightened up too much and it caused another leak to spring out. So that didn't work, I'll try the epoxy penetrated fiber glass kit from Home Depot, just dip it in water and wrap it around the pipe and let it cure. Simple enough - it didn't work either as little drips of water came out at several spots - guess I'll have to fix it right. That's the leaking section of copper pipe that started it all.

So I dug out till I reached the plastic pipe that ran over to the well. I replaced all the copper - the line that ran over to the front garden water sprayers, the one that goes to the water conditioner and the one that goes to the outside faucet.

And wallah it's all replaced and I don't have to worry about it when I'm back in Connecticut.

Here is one of the local animals saying goodbye to Polly. Yeah it's an Armadillo saying goodbye.

1 comment: