Thursday, January 20, 2011

More Planting

It was another day in the 70's so you have to work outside. First job was to divide up a Staghorn fern that Gary and Sandra brought over. It was a big guy maybe about 40 lbs. Gary said I could divide it into three so that's what my razor knife did. We got three big sections plus we found three little "pups" or young Staghorns with their own root system.








After cutting them up and shaping them to a tree trunk, I tied two of them onto trees. They will eventually wrap their leaves around the tree trunk and I'll be able to remove the strings.






I put the last big section in a basket. I've seen a lot of them grown this way. The straw packing will eventually disintegrate and it will just be the fern.







The three little pups were also tied to tree trunks.






Seeing the weather was so nice, we also planted all the various citrus trees that we had accumulated. There were two from Wayne (Hamlin Orange and a pink Pomello), a Lyhee nut tree from Sandra and Gary, two tangerines grown from seed by Cheryl, a Lemon grown from seed by Jean Seaman. I also found a local grower who sells to plantations so I bought 8 more citrus trees (a pink grapefruit, a red grapefruit, a mid-season orange (the Hamlin is an early season), a sweet pomello, a tangello, a Meyers lemon, a regular lemon and a lime). I put them along the lot border so in case that lot ever sells and someone builds, I'll have a citrus blind to allow us privacy. Everybody is going to get fruit when we come home (maybe next year).

No comments:

Post a Comment